Followers

Saturday 18 May 2013

Tutorial : Creation of a Card using Spellbinders Edgeabilities

Hello folks,

This is Pallavi and today is my turn to show you some ideas with dies/embossing folders.First a disclaimer,I have to let you know that I am brand spanking new to the  world of diecutting and I am still figuring out the basic things that you can do with these.So if you already know about these things,forgive me.I am still in the new love phase with this dies, so every little thing seems like a great discovery to me.:-)

Anyway,after racking my brains and stalking google,I failed to come up with anything which you seasoned crafters might not already know.So,I threw caution to the wind (melodramatic eh?) and decided to experiment with the Spellbinders Edgeabilties dies.Now the first mistake that I did was to not research how these dies work before buying them.I don't want you to make the same mistake,so here is a little bit of information about these specific dies.Please do read ,if you are planning to buy these.

There are two categories of Edgeabilties dies.First are the Classic edgeabilties dies.These have a cutting edge which is in various shapes like scallops, postage stamp, ric rac etc.These dies also have two decorative inserts which can be cut and embossed and matched with the edger die.Then we have the Classic decorative inserts which is a set of three decorative inserts which can mix and match perfectly with any of the edger dies.So basically you buy one or multiple set of  Classic Edgeabilities and different sets of decorative inserts and you can mix and match and create multiple combinations.Spellbinders says that with these dies you can create more than 70 combinations Cost effective much?To get so many different edges, you will have to buy a ton of edge punches.

Anyway on to my mistake now.I did not know this and I bought just the decorative insert.So, I can't
show you the edger function of the dies,but I can show you what I did with the decorative inserts.

Learning : Always research a product before buying.:-)

For my post today, I made a card.Here is how I did it.Its super easy.

1. I took some thick vellum and cut it to the size I wanted.I then embossed it with the Spellbinders
 M-bossabilities which is basically an embossing folder.(The instructions on how to emboss are given on the product packaging)



This is how the vellum looked after embossing




2. After embossing, I used one of the decorative inserts and used my die cutting machine to cut.I repeated the same die at regular intervals till I covered the whole panel.You can refer to Shalini's tutorial on the basics of die cutting.She has provided nice pic-based based step by step instructions for this.





3. I then layered some glittered cardstock behind the vellum and you get a sort of a peekaboo effect.



Then it was just a matter of adding my embellishments and finishing up the card and here's how it looks.I layered various dies as part of my embellishment.For the design behind the die cut.I cut out two fancy tags with vellum and then cut them in half and thats how I got those 4 pieces.





Supplies used:

Big Shot Machine
Prima Rondelle Paper
Worn Lipstick distress ink
Fiskars Surecut Paper Trimmer

Dies used :
Spellbinders Classic Decorative Inserts Three
Spellbinders Nestabilities - Floral Ovals
Spellbinders Shapeabilities Fancy Tags Two
Spellbinders Nestabilities Gold Label 4
Spellbinders M-bossabilities Revesrsible A4 folder

Glitter sheet and die cut piece from my stash.

Hope you liked this mini tutorial.If you have any questions,please feel free to write to us at info@crafterscorner.in

Cheers
Pallavi












5 comments:

  1. Very beautiful card Pallavi! I love the repeated die cutting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super stuff Pallavi... Love love love your card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous card Pallavi I love the hint of the glitter paper peeking through the die cut insert and the way you have layered the dies in the center is just Fabulous !!!!And thank you so much for the heads up about the edgeabilties dies ..Believe me I did the same mistake as you in purchasing them first without realising that they are inserts and not edge cutting dies !!...Your tute is so well explained and am sure will be a big help to all new crafter's out there including me i must say :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you Pallavi....its a super stuff and super help....I have made the same mistake....i bought decorative inserts only...Atleast now I can try to use these inserts...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Sindhu,Khushboo,Hussena and Daksha!I have found another idea for just the decorative inserts.Might try it out a bit later and put on my blog.heh heh

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you !